Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Romans 5:6-8; 8:32

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?


Without question our children are the most valuable things in the world to us. Even our other concerns such as job security, health, etc. have a strong connection to the well being of our children. Is there anything for which we would willingly, in advance, approve the death of one of our children? The very thought is unsettling. There is of course nothing material or even non-material that could bring us to do that.

But let's say there was a person who hated you because of an old dispute and had devoted his life to ruining your reputation. For years, if he found out you were trying to get a job, or a loan, or join an organization, he would call the people in charge of overseeing whatever it was and tell them lies to convince them to not do business with you. Then one day you find out that he is dying, that only your son can give him the transplant he needs, and if you agree, there is a strong chance your son will die during the procedure. Would you allow your son to die saving the hateful man's life?

The answer to that question for us is easy-- I don't think anyone who has ever lived would allow their son to die in that situation. In the Bible, we are like the hateful man in the story and God is like the father with the son whose organs he needs. We already know God's answer to the dilemma, and it is the opposite of ours. I wonder, is there anything more that God could have done to show us how much he loves us? I can't think of anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home