Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ephesians 3:20

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,

When I was in the 9th grade, I went to a varsity basketball game at my future high school. We had a really good team but we were playing a favored divisional rival. We had played very well. We had a slight lead and the ball with very little time left. Everyone in the stands seemed to be hoping we could just hold on to the ball long enough to run the clock out, and go home with the upset victory. We were in the appropriate, spread, "just pass the ball around" offense, designed to do just that. We seemed to be barely hanging on to control, and each second off the clock seemed like an eternity. One turnover would have given our opponent a chance to come back and win. That's when one of our players did something "immeasurably more than I could ask or imagine". While everyone in the gym was merely hoping we wouldn't blow it, he took a back door cut and got wide open under the basket for a lay-up, which he made, thereby assuring us the victory. What a great and heroic ending to a well played game.

We love it in the sports world when someone surprises us with a creative play or exceptional effort. A basketball player dunking a ball out of nowhere, a long bomb for a touchdown on fourth and one, a holed out chip on the 18th green to win, etc. While these plays and the players who do them delight us, they are nothing compared to our God, who does these types of things constantly. The next time we are in what seems to be a hopeless situation, let's think about our favorite "sports miracle" and know that God loves to be heroic in our lives also. And let's not forget to delight in Him in the same way that we do our sports heros when He performs "immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine" in our lives.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your insights are really amazing to me, Sam. Keep writing!

Sun Oct 14, 08:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home