Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Luke 11:9-13

9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread[d] from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

I think the reason for this passage is that sometimes it is our tendency as humans to not give God the benefit of the doubt that we would even a person placed in a similar relationship to us. Except in rare cases, most people would never doubt that their own fathers would be as cruel as described in these examples. But for some reason, when bad things happen to us, we can get discouraged and begin to believe that God could be (or is being) this way towards us. I think this is because we are so susceptible to lies about Him, especially when we feel overwhelmed in our circumstances. When we are feeling this way, it might help to think about how our own fathers would help us in our circumstances if he had the means to do so, and at least give God that amount of credit, even though we know in our minds He can and will do so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home