Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Proverbs 19:23

23 The fear of the LORD leads to life:
Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

And ignoring the Lord leads to death, then one never rests, because they are overwhelmed by their troubles.

This is true of the Lord but also of anything that has authority over us. If one ignores the rules of the government or of the employer or of parents.... very difficult times are obviously going to follow. How much more then, if we ignore the rules that God has set for us? As long as we are following the laws of the state, the purpose of the police force is to keep us safe from those who choose not to do so. If we decide to break the law, the police force assumes a different role for us, they now must protect other people from us. I believe God treats us in a similar way, although I think He goes a step further in protecting us from ourselves too, whereas the law usually allows us to do whatever we want if we are not hurting someone else. Both the path of transgression and the path of obedience direct us to the same place, under His protective umbrella. Get out from under it and we will find the trouble that will make us want to return to Him, stay under and receive His blessings that make us want to stay there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home