Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Philippians 4:11-12

11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

We have heard the term "independently wealthy", which means that someone has enough money to live comfortably for an indefinite period without having to depend on anyone else as a source of income. This is attractive to us because in theory it would allow us to avoid having to rely upon people we don't like or work at tasks that we don't want to do, just for a source of income. The people who get there either have a marketable talent or extraordinary business sense or get some huge breaks, or all of the above. They may be "independently wealthy" now, but the road to that status was paved by many people who they were at one time, dependent upon.

How about the term, "independently happy"? I'm sure it has been used before, but I have never heard it. I think the reason people want to be "independently wealthy", is because they want to be "independently happy". The bad news for those who have achieved independent wealth is that the two are not synonymous. But the good news for those of us who haven't is that the road to independent happiness, the kind Paul described, is paved by nobody but ourselves and God. We don't need marketable talent, extraordinary business sense, huge breaks, or anything else to get there; we already have what we need in Jesus Christ. Not to say that we can just decide today that are going to become independently happy and it will happen. I believe it can take many years of being dedicated to growing our relationship with Jesus before it happens like it did for Paul, but I believe it is available to everyone and will happen for those who make Him the center of their life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home