Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

2 Corinthians 4:16-17

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,

I remember having what I thought to be serious problems when I was younger. Doing well in school, having friends, girlfriends, etc. There were problems in these areas that at the time I felt I could not overcome. Looking back on those years, I can see now that they were important, but also that God had everything worked out for me already. People and opportunities came into my life at just the right time to allow me to move forward and I was better for the challenging experiences. I don't have the same worries now that I had in those years. Now I have responsibilities as a father and husband, in my company and in my church. If I could have seen back then how my life has turned out now, I should have worried a lot less. I would have also said, "Look, I have everything I am striving for now, that day will be perfect, or at least close enough." And I can imagine God replying, "Yes, you are correct child, but sadly you will be worrying about the next stage of your life still, just like now, once again about things I have already taken of for you."

This passage advises me and all of us trust God and to avoid the cycle of trading the joy of God's current blessings for the worries of tomorrow's outcome (which has already been worked out perfectly by God). And Paul promises that our affflictions now will seem light some day, just as those I experienced in my younger years do now. We will all look back at the things we worry about now and say, look how God made it turn out! And it really was not so bad anyway. It is hard to believe that promise sometimes with some of the struggles people have to go through, but I believe that Paul knew what he was talking about. I don't think these were just hopeful words of encouragement, I believe they are factual. Dear God, might my day to day thoughts reflect that belief also! Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joani said...

That is so true, but it is so hard to keep in mind. It's a good thing you finally found a good girlfriend:) Love ya! Joani

Fri Oct 05, 12:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,
I love your blog site... can't wait to read it daily. Thanks for your commitment to God and family.
Love, NANA

Sat Oct 06, 10:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home