Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Luke 7:18-22

18 Then the disciples of John reported to him concerning all these things. 19 And John, calling two of his disciples to him, sent them to Jesus,[b] saying, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”
20 When the men had come to Him, they said, “John the Baptist has sent us to You, saying, ‘Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?’” 21 And that very hour He cured many of infirmities, afflictions, and evil spirits; and to many blind He gave sight.
22 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things you have seen and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 23 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”


This passage reminds me of a commercial that was on a lot a few months ago. In it, two guys are riding in a car and the passenger says something like, "..so then I ended up finishing the triathlon with a broken ankle." To which the driver replies, "So what's your point?" The passenger, somewhat incredulous, says, "The point is, I am the man." The driver then rebukes him, "The man never has to say he is the man... he just is!"

You have probably wondered at some point as I have, why Jesus wasn't more direct with his answers sometimes. I think it is because He wants us to make our own decisions about Him, but also, maybe because He wanted to show us, and He wants to show us even now, who He is and who His Father is, rather than tell us, because that is what someone who is "The Man" does. "The Man" is all about his actions and not his words. He is says in effect, "I don't want to come out and tell you that, because I want you to see it for yourself. Then you decide if I am The Man or not."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never saw that commercial, but I agree that it is very appropriate to this scripture. Great insight, Sam, as usual. Love, Mom

Tue Jan 08, 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home