Sam's Blog

My name is Sam. I am a Christian who tries to study the Bible every day. I will use this blog to record thoughts or insight I get concerning the passages I am studying.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Luke 17:11-17

11Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. 12As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy[a]met him. They stood at a distance 13and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"
14When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.
15One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.
17Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" 19Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."


I don't think it is uncommon for people who have cried out in desperation to Jesus while in the midst of some crisis, after they have been delivered, to forget all about what He did for them. I think it is what we naturally tend to do. But here is a thought. What if the men in the above story had leprosy for a reason, in other words, God was using their undesirable condition to bring about His purpose in them, whether to humble them or to teach them to rely on Him or to show them His power in curing them. Now if that was the case for the nine men who failed to appreciate what He did for them, what might be next for them? I would say possibly another affliction for God to use towards fulfilling His purposes in them that the leprosy did not accomplish. Not to punish them so much as to continue to draw them where they need to be. Maybe this story can motivate us to make more permanent changes in our relationship with Him the next time He shows off His power in our circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home